Unassigned Apprentice Lineman 1 (UAL-1) for Distribution (Georgia Statewide)
The Southern Company
3620 Knollwood Dr NW
Check out similar listings!
Loading some great jobs for you...
Unassigned Apprentice Lineman 1 (UAL-1) for Distribution (Georgia Statewide)
UNASSIGNED APPRENTICE LINEMAN-1 (UAL-1) for Distribution Organization - GEORGIA STATEWIDE
Georgia Power's line crews play an integral part in Georgia's economy. Hospitals, government agencies, schools, businesses, and individuals will be relying on line crews to provide reliable electric service. If you're looking for a career in which you can make a difference and serve Georgians, consider becoming an Apprentice Lineman for Georgia Power!
Our Unassigned Apprentice Lineman (UAL-1) positions are typically located throughout the state of Georgia. Your ability to work anywhere in the state could be a factor in any hiring decisions. Flexibility in desired work locations is essential for progression through the Lineman Development Program. All candidates must be available to work within a certain distance of their assigned operating headquarters (upon hire). No relocation assistance is available.
Summary of Position Duties
The UAL-1 will be assisting with the construction of overhead and underground power distribution systems. You will learn construction and maintenance activities associated with our Distribution systems, as well as operating procedures for all equipment involved in the process, including diggers, derricks, cranes, aerial devices, and pulling and tensioning equipment. The ability to work at heights and feel comfortable doing so is critical to work in a bucket truck or manually climbing using spikes and a climbing belt. One of the most important things you will learn during this period is how to safely climb poles.
Training: The Unassigned Apprentice Lineman (UAL-1) position was developed as a part of the Lineman Development Program (LDP). The LDP is an extensive training program combining skills training, classroom training, and on-the-job training. Successful completion of 4-5 year LDP program is required in order to become a Journeyman Lineman with Georgia Power.
Education and Experience
* High School diploma or equivalent is strongly preferred.
* Candidates who have earned the ELAC (Electrical Lineworker Apprentice Certification) through one of the Technical Colleges of Georgia are strongly desired.
* Candidates must have a basic mechanical and electrical aptitude or background.
* Minimum of 1 year of work experience in construction, heavy industrial maintenance, utility, military and/or electrical experience is preferred.
* Experience working outdoors, with heavy equipment/machinery, heavy load rigging/lifting, emergency responders, commercial truck driving, tree trimming, and/or farming is a plus.
* Candidates who have military experience are strongly desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Basic mechanical aptitude and knowledge of hand tools.
* Proven ability to read, understand, and follow procedures, rules, and regulations.
* Demonstrated strong customer service skills.
* Candidate must currently be able to climb and work regularly and comfortably at a minimum of 30 feet and up to 75 feet off the ground for Distribution positions. Climbing experience is a plus.
* Ability to take instruction, direction and translate into actions.
* Able to perform physically demanding activities while working outside in all conditions.
* Demonstrated ability to successfully work in a team environment.
* Display ethical behaviors and demonstrate \"Our Company Values\" which are: Safety Excellence, Unquestionable Trust, Superior Performance & Total Commitment.
* Exhibited safe work practices as evidenced by a history of working accident free and injury free.
* Valid driver's license is required
* All candidates who are invited for an interview will be required to provide one of the following:
* Valid CDL (Commercial Driver's License) - Class A OR
* Valid CDL Learners Permit OR
* If candidate is military - obtain a Georgia CDL Permit Waiver
* If candidate currently possess a CDL Permit, candidate must be able to attain a CDL - Class A within 6 months of hire date.
* Any candidate who holds a current CDL License will require full verification with current & past employers.
* Candidates must pass a pre-employment written exam (CAST Test). The CAST test includes Graphic Arithmetic, Mathematical usage, Mechanical Concepts and Reading Comprehension. In addition, candidates must pass a Physical Abilities Test (PAT). The PAT includes (but not limited to): manually digging a hole, carrying a ladder, climbing a pole, raising a weight, and driving a ground rod. If invited, both of these events will require candidates to travel to a designated location in Georgia (mostly like the Atlanta area). Candidates will not be paid for time or travel to complete these pre-employment tests.
* Because of the nature of our work and weight restrictions on our equipment a candidate must CURRENTLY weigh (and maintain their body weight) AT or BELOW 270 pounds -fully dressed including steel-toed work boots and hardhat.
* Due to the physical demands of this position, candidates must be able to lift and drag equipment weighing 50-pounds or more.
* Candidates must be able to frequently work in extreme weather conditions throughout the entire year. All climatic conditions will be experienced in these positions (heat, cold, rain, snow/ice, etc).
* Candidates must be available for \"call out\" duties which will require being available and accessible in times of Storm emergencies at least 50% of the times requested, including overnight and out of state travel. This could also include working evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
* A thorough background check and DOT drug screen (including nicotine) will be conducted prior to employment (after a job offer is extended). In addition, you must successfully meet requirements for a Pre-Employment (DOT) physical exam approved by our company physician.
Pay: This is a position covered by a collective bargaining agreement between GPC and IBEW Local 84. Union membership is optional. Current starting pay for ALL NEW HIRES is $3,383 /month or approximately $19.51/hour. UAL-1 candidates who receive job offers will be hired at this rate, regardless of experience/skills. This rate is non-negotiable.
Subject to the Georgia Power Company Smoke Free Workplace Policy: You must be free from all tobacco products (including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chew, snuff, patch and/or gum), at least six months prior to applying for this position.
Georgia Power Company has classified this position as \"Safety Sensitive\" and as such is subject to relevant pre-employment screening(s) to determine fitness for duty. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the applicant successfully completing all required fitness assessments.
All candidates must apply online while this posting is active (including submitting resume information) and answer a series of job related questions in order to be considered.
Georgia Power is an investor-owned, tax-paying utility that serves 2.25 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. The largest of four electric utilities that make up Southern Company, Georgia Power, has been providing electricity to Georgia for more than a century at rates well below the national average.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com at .
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Power Line Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia
Operating Company: Georgia Power Company
Other Locations: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Lithonia
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Union Covered: Yes
Klondike Training Center - 4826 Klondike Road (4826LITHONIA)